I have this lovely Italian cookbook, and I found this recipe in it. I made some changes to it, since we don’t eat a lot of dairy products and wheat flour.
I haven’t learned to make wheat free bread yet so I used the normal crostinis. But I will get there too.
We bought Gutturnio, red wine, to drink along the soup. Personally, I think that with this soup you can have a red wine that doesn’t have a strong flavor and taste. Otherwise it will cover the aroma and the delicate, sweet taste of the soup.
Wheat free onion soup
By January 29, 2012Published:
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 10 mins
Onion and chestnut flour based
- 500 g Onions yellow
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 3 tsp Chestnut flour
- 1 cup Brandy
- 1 l Beef bouillon
- 1 bunch Thyme
- 1 leaf Bay
- 2 Crostinis
- Slice the onions. Warm the ghee in a big pot and once it is warm add the onions. Put the flame at minimum so that the onions can cook evenly and slowly.
- After about 30 min. the onions will be caramelized (they'll have an amber like colour), you can add the chestnut flour, the herbs and some salt.
- Simmer for awhile and add the brandy. You'll start feeling and awesome aroma.
- Simmer for 5 min. until the alcohol of the brandy has evaporated, and add the beef bouillon and cover the pot with a lid. Let it all cook on a minimum flame for another 30 minutes.
- In the meanwhile, put the slices of bread under a grill until they become dark brown and dry-crunchy.
- Once the soup is ready, pour it in a bowl and put the crostini on top.
- Course: Soup
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress